Hey all, I’m back again with another status update. I know I went dark for a period of time – in the past couple of months, I’d become unemployed, moved across several states, and was without a computer intermittently, so there wasn’t much progress to be had.

With that said, let’s dive into some of the new stuff.

Asset Creation

As you know, I’m building a lot of the assets in this game from the Time Fantasy asset packs. However, there’s a lot of customization to these assets that I’ve got to get through to really nail the level of polish that I want to showcase.

battleanimationBattle animations have been something of a challenge – since I’m limiting each pose to 4 frames, there isn’t a ton of room to create more flamboyant and interesting poses. However, it’s probably good that I’m keeping things pretty simple for now, and I can always combine multiple poses later down the line.

UI, Fonts, and General Thoughts

The Battle Screen is still a work in progress, but I think I’m getting close to something that I can be happy with. A sort of “less is more” design philosophy has been at the forefront of my thoughts.

battlesystemrevamp

The font shown above is something that I’d like to play with more, especially if I use a darker, simpler background for my menus, rather than the browns and golds I’ve been using already. Personally, I’m leaning more toward simplifying to avoid over saturating the screen with color.

If you’ve noticed, I’ve taken down the resolution of the game quite a bit, running at a default resolution of 640 x 360. This resolution is still in a 16:9 aspect ratio, so even in fullscreen it’ll fit nicely when expanded on a, say, 1080p monitor for example.

I’m really looking forward to working on this more. Things are really starting to come together.